In this business there is a secret to longevity: Be creative every day. Show up, every day. For more than two decades, both as a long term (12+ years, twice!) in-house designer and Webmaster for two very different companies, and as a contractor, I have done both with consistency and dedication.
For me, good design is just good business, for me and for the client. Today's graphics market demands creative juice and diversity of skills: acute corporate brand awareness, illustration (technical and freehand), pre-production product layouts, packaging, publication layout (from single page flyers to 400+ page books), website design, maintenance, and SEO (from simple HTML sites to ASP.NET based sites), ad design (print and online), email campaigns, in-house publishing, photography, project management, copywriting, comics and cartoons, and marketing. And that's exactly what I deliver. The whole package for good design and good business.
Download a PDF of my resume (requires Acrobat Reader)
Mac & PC Compatible
(but generally works better on a Mac)
Adobe CS5 & 6: Illustrator, Photoshop, DreamWeaver, InDesign
Microsoft: Office Word, Excel, Power Point, Expression Web
Other: MAS 500 & Direct 500 module, EasyWorship, Prezzi,
+ Experience with: Flash, QuarkXPress, TurboCAD Mac Pro, Mac Draw ;o)
Web - Design, HTML, CSS, SEO, Banner Ads
Print - Publications, Brochures, Ads, Business Stationary
Illustration, original cartooning
Good design has to Work: Flashy is great, but so is useful, understandable, non-dominating graphic communications.
Details matter. The dull and mundane are just as important as the spectacular.
Graphic Work Experience
2000 - 2013 Genesis Worldwide Enterprises, Inc.
Product design and project management for the Flight Miniatures model line, Key Connection custom keyboards, and other branded products.
- Create highly accurate artwork for product production
- Create packaging artwork in compliance with licensing and client graphic standards
- Project management, including Asian factory relations, artwork and sample review
- Create product instruction sheets and package inserts
- Client and vendor communications and relationship management
- Project workup and quotations
- Product photography
- Design all sales support and advertising collateral including product photography, tradeshow banners, print ads, product sheets, and catalogs
- Simultaneous management of multiple projects
Website design and maintenance for eight company websites
- Core design, custom UI, website elements, layout, navigation and product photography
- "Skin" sites into the Direct 500 eStore template, asp.net shopping cart
- Create HTML/CSS based sites
- Create JavaScrip based apps
- Content, including product descriptions
- SEO management, including Meta descriptions and keyword rich content development
- Assist in management of in-house web server (Microsoft IIS platform)
- Create banner ads, manage PPC ad campaigns
- Monitor usage through Google Analytics
In-house graphics such as corporate forms, stationary, business cards, etc.
1998 - 2000 Johnson Design
Website design and management; logo and brand element design; collateral; book covers; cartooning
1983 - 1985 / 1988 - 1998 Integrated Circuit Engineering
Prepress production, brand management, publication design, advertising
- Three plus years as acting Art Director for ICE’s publications, seminars and advertising
- Create artwork for seven annual publications and eight seminars each year
- Prepress page layout for publications (paste-up and QuarkXPress)
- Direct project management including printers, quotes, press checks, proofing, etc.
- Design book and CD-ROM covers, posters, annual report
- Dark room: Stat camera operation and PMT processing, B&W film development
Webmaster for ICE's original website developed in 1995
- Website evaluation and redesign with"friendlier UI in 1996
- Create website graphics
- Maintain website and add & update content
- Website promotion with early adoption of good SEO standards and search engine submissions
A life time of learning.
Training Seminars, Community College, Video Training, and continuous self-education in Photoshop, Illustrator, DreamWeaver, InDesign, page layout and design for print, advertising design, website design and development, SEO and web marketing, computer graphics, and cartooning.
"Blessed are the learners, for they shall inherit the earth, while the
learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that
no longer exists."
Eric Hoffer, Philosopher
Non Graphics Work Experience
Everything contributes to creative design, and my experience with automotive mechanics, customer service, even commercial floor cleaning, means that my clients get a real world perspective.
2013-Present Arizona Office Technologies - Printer/Copier technician
2000-2002 DBA Alan Johnson (the floor guy) - owner/operator commercial floor cleaning service
1998-2000 Son Shine Cleaning Services - commercial floor cleaning and janitorial services
1986-1988 Blackwell Automotive - automotive mechanic
1986-1986 KBK Mechanical - sheet metal installer
1985-1986 Sherman Automotive - automotive mechanic
1978-1983 Greenway Auto - shop helper (cleaning, parts runner, customer pickup/drop off)
1998 - current Vineyard Christian Fellowship Cottonwood -
Lead for video presentation; selection of software package, training, setting up presentations, Webmaster, Kids Church teacher, facilities maintenance, landscaping and what ever is needed.